03 May 2013

Why do we (South Africans) litter so much?

Why do we litter so much? Everywhere you go there's litter.

Each time I follow a vehicle, especially trucks and delivery vehicles, for no apparent reason I will see an empty pack of cigarettes or a takeaway paperbag from KFC, etc. fly out the window. I find this painful. I ask myself, couldn't s/he keep it in the car until the next stop? Don't people realize how ugly a dirty environment is?

Residential areas are no exception. I go into townships and I'm greeted by heaps of rubbish in many open areas. In the so-called suburbs there's builders' rubble everywhere and there's litter flying around. Don't we teach our children and workers to keep the environment clean?

Taking a walk or hiking in the public open spaces like Melville Koppies is painful. There's litter everywhere from people taking picnics or strolls there. The beautiful streams are choking with rubbish.

Do we really undervalue ourselves so much that we feel its fine to live in a dirty environment? Where is the environmental education on radio, TV, in schools? What about employers educating their employees, especially delivery workers? And isn't it about time all tiers of government enforce environmental legislation and by-laws? Come on fellow South Africans, lets keep our country beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment